PySol not working on WinXP, SP2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 1 20:47:36 EDT 2005

"Rocco Moretti" <roccomoretti at hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:d7lb52$r62$1 at news.doit.wisc.edu...
> Are you sure you're using the Python version (2.3, 2.4 etc) that the
> Pysol .pyw files were compiled for? As I understand it, that's what the
> "magic number" is - a versioning number for the .pyc/.pyw files which
> changes when the Python version is upped.
>
> If you had multiple versions of Python installed on your machine,
> upgrading to SP2 might have muddled your file associations.

2.4 came out about the same time as SP2.  If the .pyc files worked with
2.3, I am pretty sure they will not work with 2.4 since I am pretty sure
the marshal format (used to make .pycs) was changed slightly for 2.4 after
no change for a few releases.  It will change again for 2.5.

Python is intended to be distributed as readable source.  .pycs are
intended to be temporary caches, only kept around to avoid recompiling with
every run, but certainly disposable with version changes.

Terry J. Reedy