extreme newbie

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Jun 18 21:36:47 EDT 2005

Harlin Seritt wrote:
> Am I the only one who wonders this: If Python at runtime runs
> very much like Java and has generally about the same speed (or faster),
> then why in the world isn't Java becoming more archaic and being
> steadily replaced by Python? I ask this not as a rhetorical question,
> but --really-- how come developers are still stuck on Java when Python
> seems to be a far better language? In context, Python is not a low
> level compiled language like C/C++ is but an interpreted one just like
> Java.

Sigh. You're not the only one who wonders this. I have been trying to get my co-workers (in a mostly Java shop) interested in Python & Jython for 2-3 years with no success. What I see is that
- most of them have little or no time to learn anything new that is not directly required to get their job done.
- most of them have zero interest in evaluating new tools and trying to pick the best; they just use what is popular.

"I don't have time to sharpen my saw, I'm too busy cutting down this tree!"

Sigh.
Kent