Database recommendations for Windows app

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Wed Jun 22 13:21:37 EDT 2005

Gregory Piñero wrote:
> I always figured a problem with using MySQL was distribution.  Would
> you have to tell your users to install MySQL and then to leave the
> service running?  I've never found an easy way to embed MySQL into a
> python app, and even if you could, would you then have to pay for it?

There are more reasons than that not to use MySQL...
See e.g. http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

It seems a lot of the most badly missed features are
appearing in MySQL 5.0, but as features are added, I
suppose the claimed advantages in performance and
simplicity withers away, and these features can hardly
be considered very mature yet. (One should also note
that MySQL manuals have often claimed that features
it lacked were useless, or even dangerous, until
MySQL AB decided to implement them themselves... :)

Also, the GPL/Commercial licence is not a good thing
for commercial apps, particularly since this licence
applies even to client libs.

Recent PostgreSQL versions are stable, fast, and have
native Windows versions.