Back to the future - python to C++ advice wanted

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Jun 18 03:53:34 EDT 2005

D H wrote:

> That's why so many people have switched to Java or C# (or Python and
> other langugages of course).  You might talk to them about using Python,
> since Python and C/C++ fit together very nicely (with tools like BOOST,
> SWIG, Pyrex,...).  But me personally I like to avoid C++ altogether when
> possible, and use Java or C# instead, both of which also can be combined
> with python or python-like languages such as jython, groovy, or boo.

But accessing Java packages from jython does not reduce effecively the
underlying pain. Personally I favour for programming in C++ over Java,
because I feel at least the mind of an evil genius ( C++ template
programming is Turing complete, operator overloading enables objects
having a builtin groove ) where Java is plain mediocrity. In spirit it
is a kind of Anti-Python.

I recommend studying C++ idioms carefully.

http://www1.bell-labs.com/user/cope/Patterns/C++Idioms/EuroPLoP98.html

If Georges starts on greenfields he may have a look at Qt and it's
object library which is not only concerned with widgets.

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/

BOOST is more high brow and I guess that it compiles slow because it
uses templates extensively. Template metaprogramming as a compile time
language was a funny discovery. Here is some prove of it's
capabilities:

http://osl.iu.edu/~tveldhui/papers/2003/turing.pdf

Regards,
Kay