"also" to balance "else" ?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Jun 14 03:32:59 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:07 am, Ron Adam wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
> > On Monday 13 June 2005 11:09 pm, Ron Adam wrote:
> >>My suggestion is to use, also as the keyword to mean "on normal exit"
> >>'also' do this.
> > Unfortunately, "also" is also a bad keyword to use for this, IMHO.
> > I don't find it any more intuitive than "else".  (And since your idea
> > would break if-else code, I don't think it would be allowed, anyway).
>
> How would it break the current if-else?

I meant "for-else".  Typo, sorry.  The point is though, that there
is a fairly strict rule against breaking old code, AFAICT.  Which
makes the issue academic, "for-else" will continue to mean what
it currently does.

> > I can't think of what would be a better keyword, though.  :-/
>
> Well there's 'not-else' or 'nelse'  Ack!  Just kidding of course.

No, I know what it should be.  It should be "finally".   It's already
a keyword, and it has a similar meaning w.r.t. "try".

ISTM, that it would have to be a synonym for "else" though to
be accepted on the backwards-compatibility criterion, and
then it would be "more than one way to do it" which breaks
the Zen. ;-)

Personally, though, "for-finally" would make a lot more sense
to me than "for-else" (and I don't have enough "for-else" code
to worry about it breaking).