How to get/set class attributes in Python

Kalle Anke skromta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:50:56 EDT 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:41:48 +0200, Terry Hancock wrote
(in article <mailman.391.1118687097.10512.python-list at python.org>):

> 1) Assume the variables are of a sensible type (not
> necessarily the one you expected, though), and provide
> exception handling to catch the case where their interface
> does not match what you expect.

The problem I have with this is that I might discover an error at runtime
instead of compile time, this means that I need to really exercise all
possible test cases to make sure that I've covered everything (which of
course is a good thing) but it would be easier to discover this at "compile
time".

(note: I'm not trying to change Python, only that to me statically typing has
it advantages also)

> Let's face it -- should it matter if you "are a programmer"
> or only if you "can program"?  This is the difference in
> philosophy behind a dynamically-typed language like
> Python and a statically typed one like Java.

I don't really understand what you're meaning (English isn't my native
language as you probably already have discovered)