Two questions

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Thu Jun 2 10:51:20 EDT 2005

rbt wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
>> Philosophy not entirely aside, you should note that object code in any
>> language can "easily" be reverse-engineered in the same way, with the
>> only difference being the degree of ease involved.  If the code is
>> worth enough to someone that they are willing to risk violating your
>> license terms, they *will* be able to recover enough source code
>> (whether it was Python, C, or assembly) to do what they need.
>

> Don't intend to hijack this thread, but this bit interests me. I know
> several accomplished C/assembly programmers who have told me that
> reverse engineering object code from either of these two languages is
> anything but trivial. Yet, I *hear* and *read* the opposite all of the
> time. Can anyone actually demonstrate a decompile that mirrors the
> original source?

I give you one example: Online/Multiplayer GTA 3 or 4
(http://gta3mta.tk/)

A C-App never intended to work that way - but skillfully patched so that
it works! And that even only as OSS - no commercial interest (and thus
funding). So I day Peter's statement has full validity - it's a question
of interest.

Diez