Boss wants me to program

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 29 16:33:11 EDT 2005

Harry George wrote:
> "Adriaan Renting" <renting at astron.nl> writes:
>>Both VB and Python are easier to learn as the more powerful
>>languages, the price is that they lack features that make it easier to
>>manage large and complex projects.
>
> What is a large project, and what is Python missing that C++ and Java
> have for such tasks?

But C++ and Java have features that *management* likes, thus making it
"easier to manage large projects".  (That says nothing about whether or
not it makes it easier to produce quality code, successful projects,
happy customers, large profits, or any such silly things... just that
it's "easier to manage". ;-)

Less facetiously: I have managed a large Python project or three, and
several large C++ projects (and, thankfully, no large Java projects) and
  found Python quite up to the task.  In fact, if anything the C++
projects ended up more in danger of succumbing to the sheer weight of
the code than did the Python projects.  But I attribute this more to the
fact that we had evolved to using agile approaches with the Python
projects than to any of those special features either present or lacking
in C++.

Ultimately, manageability of a project is far and away more about the
people involved and the techniques used than it is about any single
technology involved.

-Peter