Which kid's beginners programming - Python or Forth?

BORT UNIEMFXHWQZB at spammotel.com
Mon Jun 27 23:16:12 EDT 2005

Please forgive me if this is TOO newbie-ish.

I am toying with the idea of teaching my ten year old a little about
programming.  I started my search with something like "best FREE
programming language for kids."  After MUCH clicking and high-level
scanning, I am looking at Python and Forth.  Both have advocates that
say each is a great approach to learning computers.

My programming classes were a long, long time ago in a land far, far
away.  My programming muscles, which were never truly developed, have
atrophied even so.  That said, I want to learn this as we go.  The
PROCESS of research and using net resources for a self-learning
adventure is almost as much of the goal as learning a programming
skill.

That said, a good learning goal for my kid would be to create a
spelling tutor for his little brother.  My (simple) vision would be:

1.  an input file of this week's word list
2.  use a free text-to-speech engine to call out one word at a time
3.  in turn, monitor each key press as a particular word is being
typed, beeping on an incorrect keystroke and going to the next word if
correct

I don't care if it takes a year or two to get to this level, I just
want a vehicle that will take us there.

I told my son, who wants to learn how to compute probabilities, that we
have to start with some boring stuff so we can learn how to do the cool
stuff.  Adding and subtracting aren't really fun, but figuring odds on
rolling dice IS fun.  Learning to program will be kind of like that.
He accepted that explantion.

So, that said...   In ~simplest~ terms for the stated goal -- Forth or
Python?
...the goal is NOT the spelling tutor... it is learning how to use a
tool to solve a problem.  I am asking which tool is more suited to an
otherwise arbitrary direction of "spelling tutor program."

[NOTE: This is not a troll.  I'm geting ready to bark up a tree and I
prefer to avoid the wrong one. I am cross-posting.]

Thanks