Software licenses and releasing Python programs for review

max maxerickson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:12:18 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote in
news:pan.2005.06.06.16.00.26.364108 at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au:

> By law, corporations (and possibly some other organisations)
> *are* people. Not natural people like you or I, but nevertheless
> people. For good or bad, this is the legal fact (or perhaps
> "legal fiction") in most countries, and not a myth.

s/myth/legal absurdity/

This is one thing that bothers me about the gpl. It essentially tries
to create 'code as a legal entity'. That is, it gives rights not to
the creator of some code, but to the code itself. For me, the fact
that corporations are considered people by the law is ridiculous.
Using a license that ends up doing the same thing with code leaves a
bad taste in my mouth.

max