Does Python cause tides?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 15 06:13:49 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au> wrote:
>> >High and low tides aren't caused by the moon.
>> They're not???
>
> Nope. They are mostly caused by the continents. ...
> The true situation is that tides are caused by the interaction of the
> gravitational fields of the sun, the moon and the Earth, the rotation of
> the Earth, the physical properties of water, its salinity, the depth,
> shape and composition of the coast and shoreline, the prevailing ocean
> currents, vibrationary modes of the ocean (including up to 300 minor
> harmonics), ocean storms, and even the wind. You can understand why we
> usually simplify it to "the moon causes the tides", even though the moon
> isn't even the largest contributing factor.
>
> See, for example:
>
> http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/

Steve, please go and read that page again.  While I readily accept that
you may be far more of an expert on tides than I, Roy, and whoever
contributed to the Wikipedia article, nearly every section on the page
that *you* referenced directly contradicts your basic claims.  I quote:

"Tides are created because the Earth and the moon are attracted to each
other..."

"The sun's gravitational force on the earth is only 46 percent that of
the moon. Making the moon the single most important factor for the
creation of tides."  [you said the moon isn't the largest factor]

"Since the moon moves around the Earth, it is not always in the same
place at the same time each day. So, each day, the times for high and
low tides change by 50 minutes."  [if the moon were not such a large
cause, it wouldn't have this effect]

I believe you are still just saying that the *magnitude* of the tides is
greatly affected by other things, such as the shoreline, but what I keep
reading is you basically saying "the moon is not the cause and is only a
minor factor".

I also see nothing to suggest that if the moon and the sun were removed
from the picture, there would be much in the way of tides at all.  (The
page you quoted says the sun has about 46% the effect of the moon which,
if true, means the statement "the presence of the moon and the sun cause
tides" still seems pretty accurate, certainly not a "lie for children"
but merely a simplification, if anything.

-Peter