Better console for Windows?

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Tue Jun 28 13:22:49 EDT 2005

On Tue, 27 Jun 2005, Brett Hoerner wrote:

> Rune Strand wrote:
>
> Christ, thanks.  When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
> and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.

What, and not install if you say no?

Perhaps your best way to get a proper shell on windows is just to install
a proper shell; Cygwin (<http://www.cygwin.com/>) has bash, but it also
installs a bunch of other unixish stuff you might or might not want. This:

http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/

looks like a standalone bash, plus ls, mv, cp rm, chmod and less. Here:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

you can get various further bits of free software compiled for windows,
including:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

the GNU coreutils, which is the 1% of commands you use 99% of the time.
bash + coreutils should do nicely. For a mostly complete GNU development
toolchain, check out MinGW:

http://www.mingw.org/

Which, IMHO, is a better solution than Cygwin for general programming.

tom

--
i'm prepared to do anything as long as someone else works out how to do it and gives me simple instructions... -- Sean