Thoughts on Guido's ITC audio interview

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Jun 27 13:57:08 EDT 2005

In article <11bs1bc5jotvg9c at news.supernews.com>,
John Roth <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:

>What's being ignored is that type information is useful for other
>things than compile type checking. The major case in point is the
>way IDEs such as IntelliJ and Eclipse use type information to do
>refactoring, code completion and eventually numerous other things. A
>Java programmer using IntelliJ or Eclipse can eliminate the advantage
>that Python used to have, and possibly even pull ahead.

Perhaps.  But adding the time to learn those IDEs in addition to the time
to learn Java is ridiculous.  I've been forced to use Java a bit to
support credit cards for our web application; I've got a friend whose
Java-vs-Python argument hinges on the use of Eclipse; I was unable to
make use of Eclipse in the time I had available for the project.

Meanwhile, I'm busy with a code base that I doubt any IDE could handle...

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx prgrmmng.