Database recommendations for Windows app

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Wed Jun 22 11:15:28 EDT 2005

Will McGugan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to write a windows app that accesses a locally stored database.
> There are a number of tables, the largest of which has 455,905 records.
>
> Can anyone recommend a database that runs on Windows, is fast /
> efficient and can be shipped without restrictions or extra downloads?
>
> I have googled and found plenty of information on databases, its just
> that I dont have enough experience with databases to know which one is
> best for my task!

Neither do we, considering that brief description.

Will there be multiple simultaneous users?
Multiple simultaneous writers?
Do you require proper transaction management?
   (Or is it a pure read-only database, since you know
    exactly how many records the largest table has?)
Do you need to make ad-hoc queries?
What will your code look like?
* Is it object-oriented?
* Are there a lot of fixed relations between objects?
Are there other requirements such as need for undo or
   change history management?
Does the application work with small chunks of data at a time
   (such as in a ticket ordering system) or with larger chunks
   (such as in a web site CMS)?
What size is it? It's a big difference between 455,905 integers
   and 455,905 mp3 files for instance...
"A number of tables" tells us very little, more than suggesting
   that it's more than one... Ten and 200 makes a big difference.