OO approach to decision sequence?

Chinook chinook.nr at tds.net
Sun Jun 26 21:03:45 EDT 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:58:11 -0400, George Sakkis wrote
(in article <1119823091.503532.60180 at g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> "Paul McGuire" <ptmcg at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Lee C -
>>
>> Here is a technique for avoiding the if-elseif-elseif...-else method
>> for building objects.  It is a modified form of ChainOfResponsibility
>> pattern, in which you have a collection of factory methods that all
>> have a common signature, or a collection of Factory classes that all
>> implement a "makeObject" method.  These common methods probably take a
>> string, and return a generic object.  Fortunately, such type
>> flexibility is *very* easy in Python. :)
>>
>> Example:
>> I want to convert individual strings to native data types.  I want to
>> detect integers, reals, complex numbers, and booleans (indicated by
>> 'True' or 'False').  This is kind of similar to a parsing problem, but
>> it could also be used for deserializing or unpickling data of an
>> unknown original type.
>>
>> Note the special treatment I have to go through with boolean values - I
>> needed to write a special makeBool routine, since Python will take any
>> non-empty string to be True, when what I want is 'True' to yield true
>> and 'False' to yield false.
>>
>> Hope this gives you some alternative ideas to your cascading if's.
>>
>> -- Paul
>>

>> def makeBool(s):
>> if s in ('True','False'):
>> return s == 'True'
>> raise ValueError
>>
>> converters = [ int, float, complex, makeBool, str ]
>>
>> def makeObject(stringVar):
>> for conv in converters:
>> try:
>> val = conv(stringVar)
>> except Exception:
>> continue
>> else:
>> break;
>> return val
>>
>> def test(s):
>> val = makeObject(s)
>> print s, val, type(val)
>>
>> test('1')
>> test('1.0')
>> test('1+2j')
>> test('1+0j')
>> test('True')
>> test('False')
>> test('A')
>>
>> prints:
>> 1 1 <type 'int'>
>> 1.0 1.0 <type 'float'>
>> 1+2j (1+2j) <type 'complex'>
>> 1+0j (1+0j) <type 'complex'>
>> True True <type 'bool'>
>> False False <type 'bool'>
>> A A <type 'str'>
>
> Nice technique. Something that needs to be pointed out is that the
> order of the converters *is* important; int takes precedence over
> float, which take precedence over complex and bool takes precedence
> over string. More succinctly:
> { int -> float -> complex }
> { bool -> str             }
> In general the converters will form a strict partially ordered set, so
> the list of converters should be a topological sort of the respective
> DAG.

> [...]

Ah yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat :~) and your samples are
helping me get a better grasp of both Python and OOP in such.  I find both
Bengt's and Paul's variation on a theme understandable (I must be making
progress :~) and interesting.  I must admit that I did have to look twice at
Bengt's clever little slice on 'an' though.

I had already worked my way through <a
href="http://fraca7.free.fr/blog/index.php?2005/02/28/2-design-patterns-part-
i---chain-of-responsibility">this</a> though, so they were that much more
understandable.

 Actually, I'm using a superclass as a factory, similar to Steve B's example
(as modified by someone I can't find the name of).  The difference is that my
criteria does not map easily to class names so I have the verbose decision
sequence in my superclass.  Of course, if I want to get really fancy,  I
could use the COR pattern within such.

I'm making more hay out of this one little pasture than I expected (i.e.
increasing my understanding) thanks to all of you.  I'm going to have to
start writing down names (rather than rely on this ol head) so I can properly
thank everyone - like those clarifying other examples.

At some point I'll put up the original top-down and OO refactored versions of
my little utility in the hope that I will learn even more from criticism of
my efforts.  The "new deal" top-down structured programming encountered in my
continuing post grad work at BU in the 1960s was easier to get a solid handle
on ;')

Much appreciated,

Lee C

"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of knowledge." --Abraham Joshua Heschel