Dealing with marketing types...

Steve Jorgensen nospam at nospam.nospam
Sun Jun 12 06:41:58 EDT 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:51:02 -0500, tom <thomasbartkus at comcast.net> wrote:

>Let me add an Item #3 -
>If you have some entrepeneurial savvy and can keep your emotions out of
>it tou can simply tell them you have decided strike out on your own and
>tell them that you will be available. They will be happy to hear you are
>leaving and happier still to hear you can be available for backup.
>Their goals and fears are addressed at the same time.  AND there is a very
>high possibility that they will *need* you at a later date for which you
>can charge them dearly.
>
>That last item #3 has actually worked for me with (2) prior employers.
>I did have to eat my indignation and keep it friendly but it did pay off
>in the end.
>Thomas Bartkus

I have to say that, although I have yet to write a line of Python code for
money, I've found that this concept basically works.  When you realize that
your employer is cutting you out to save the cost of paying you, funny enough,
they'll be willing to -really- pay you as a consultant later when they get
stuck, and one or more paying customers are impacted.  They also win't mind
figuring out how to have you come in after hours so it won't conflict with
your new day job if you have one.  In my case, the work was in VB/VBA, but the
same principle should apply to any technology.

Do make sure that your contract with any new employer allows you to do at
least small amounts of moonlighting - they probably won't object.  They will
insist that any moonlighting shall not compete with their line of business,
and you should agree to that stipulation.