smtpd module

Hughes, Chad O chad.hughes at pnl.gov
Thu Jun 9 17:13:01 EDT 2005

No, I know how to use the smtplib module and I can send email through
that.  However what I want is a the ability to set up a very simple mail
server with python, for some tests that I need to run that just prints
out the message to the standard out and disregards the message.  The
smtpd module seems to provide this ability via the DebuggingServer.
According to the documentation that is provided with python the:

class DebuggingServer( localaddr, remoteaddr)
  Create a new debugging server.
  Arguments are as per SMTPServer.
  Messages will be discarded, and printed on stdout.

Unfortunately, this does not tell me how to use it.  I cannot find any
examples on the web.  For that matter, I cannot find any other
documentation anywhere.  Has anyone ever used ether the SMTPServer
object or the DebuggingServer object?  If so, I would appreciate very
much an example use case.

Thanks,
Chad