Overcoming herpetophobia (or what's up w/ Python scopes)?

Sat Jun 18 05:20:00 EDT 2005

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:26:13 +0000, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 03:02:13 +1000, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> declaimed the following in
> comp.lang.python:
>

>> The language is *always* spelt without the "a", and usually all in
>> lower-case: perl.
>>
> 	Given that, at least one well known, book relates the name to
> Practical Extraction (&) Report Language, whether that was a retrofit or
> not -- I'd be tempted to user PERL for the name...

According to Larry Wall, PERL is *officially* wrong and should *never* be
used.

> All lowercase most
> likely reflects the standard habits of Linux/Unix command naming.

And since Larry came from that tradition, you are most likely
correct. And that is why originally the official name of the language was
all lowercase. Things change, and now Perl is officially the name of the
language, and perl officially the name of the implementation of the
language.

Reading the Perl FAQs at www.perl.org is a good place to start.

--
Steven.