Running WMI within a Windows service

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 11:22:51 EDT 2005

[cameron.mccloud at gmail.com]
| Hi,
|
| When trying to import the WMI module in a Python Windows
| Service, I get
| the following:
|
|     dynamic module does not define init function (initwmi)
|
| The WMI version is 0.6. Python 2.4 on Win32, Python Win32 extensions
| version 203

This is almost certainly caused by a problem which
I consistently fail to mention on my site every time
it comes up. In essence, the service you've defined
will run in c:\winnt\system32, where there is an
file called wmi.dll (which presumably implements
the core WMI functionality). Python, looking for
a "wmi" to import, finds this -- which could be
a Python module -- and tries to import it. And fails.

Possible solutions:

1) Within the service code, switch directories to
   some other directory before importing wmi.

2) Rename wmi.py to something else (pywmi.py?)
   and import that.

3) Run the service as a named user, which will run
   within that user's home directory. (Not at all
   sure about this one; haven't tried it).

HTH
TJG

http://www.star.net.uk