Couple functions I need, assuming they exist?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 20 11:27:30 EDT 2005

Charles Krug wrote:
> First, I'm reading that aString.split() is depreciated.  What's the
> current best practice for this?
>
> Or am I mistaking that:
>
> myWords = split(aString, aChar)
 > is depreciated but

If you mean "import string; string.split(aString, aChar)" then
yes, it's deprecated (not "depreciated", by the way).

> myWords = aString.split(aChgar)
> is not?

Correct, this is perfectly acceptable.

> Second question, I've written a script that generates a LaTeX source
> containing randomly generated arithmetic problems of various types.
>
> The target of the problems (my daughter) would prefer that the thousands
> be delimited.  Is there a string function that does this?

You refer to something like putting a comma between groups of three
digits, as in 1,000?  This is locale-specific, and there's a "locale"
module that should have what you need.

-Peter