extreme newbie

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Jun 19 23:57:23 EDT 2005

On 2005-06-19, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> 	Such lovely things allowed as: embedding non-printable control
> characters into file names.

Don't most OSes allow that?  Unix does, and IIRC VMS did as
well.  In VMS there was a system call that let you change the
name shown by the equivalent of "ps".  You could include
control characters in that string, and it was sort of fun to
change your name to little ASCII-art pictures.  Well, it was
fun when you were a freshman.

> Makes it real fun for someone to figure out just where in a
> 10-character file name that console-beep is placed <G>

Under Unix it's not all that hard to accidentally create files
like that. Sometimes you have to resort to blasting them away
by i-node number, or by moving the files you want to keep and
then nuking the directory.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I will SHAVE and
                                  at               buy JELL-O and bring my