Thoughts on Guido's ITC audio interview

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Mon Jun 27 21:10:41 EDT 2005

Dave Benjamin wrote:
> Guido gave a good, long interview, available at IT Conversations, as was
> recently announced by Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! The audio clips are available
> here:
>
> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail545.html
> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail559.html

Thanks for the links Dave. :-)

He talked a fair amount on adding type checking to python.  From
reading his blog on that subject, it seems Guido is leaning towards
having the types as part of function and method definitions via the 'as'
and/or '->' operator in function and class argument definitions.

My first thoughts on this was to do it by associating the types to the
names. Limiting reassignment of a names to specific types would be a
form of persistent name constraint that would serve as a dynamic type
system.

Has any form of "name constraints" been discussed or considered
previously?

Regards,
Ron