Does Python cause tides?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 15 16:37:25 EDT 2005

Terry Hancock wrote:

> "Plants consume CO2 and make O2"
>
> Well, yes, but they also consume O2, just like animals.  *On balance*,
> the statement is *usually* true.  But most plants would probably
> die in a pure-CO2 environment (unless they can drive the atmosphere
> to a better composition fast enough).

Ha, finally one I can comment one with a reasonable level of confidence.
On balance, plants consume CO2 and produce O2 *as long as they are
growing*. You see, they use the C from the CO2 to build the material
they are made of. Once they are full-grown, the amount of O2 produced by
their photosynthesis is balanced by the amount of O2 consumed by their
respiration; the same goes for the CO2 produced in consumed in both
processes.

This can be generalized to whole forests too. Often people think that
the Amazon rain forests produce large quantities of O2, but that's just
not true. During their initial growth, they indeed produced large
quantities of O2. As long as they stay the same size (the same amount of
biomass actually), there is no net effect. Now that large areas are
burnt to make place for roads and agriculture, the CO2 comes back in the
atmosphere while O2 from the atmosphere is consumed in the flames.

It's very well possible that this is a simplification that glosses over
a few details such as other sources of carbon, but in general it's good
enough.

Roel Schroeven