help with sending mail in Program

Tim Williams listserver at tdw.net
Thu Jun 9 12:23:53 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ivan Shevanski" <darkpaladin79 at hotmail.com>

I think this seems like it would work, but I still can't seem to get it to
work.  I  turned on the debugging and everything seemed alright.  I'll post
how I modified it (I probally made a simple mistake).  Can someone help
here?

#!/usr/local/bin/python

''' Send mail to me '''

from smtplib import SMTP

def sendToMe(subject, body):
    me = '"Ivan Shevanski" <mcskittles117 at hotmail.com>'
    send(me, me, subject, body)

def send(frm, to, subject, body):
    s = SMTP()
#///On or off for test\\\   #s.set_debuglevel(1)
    s.connect('mail.hotmail.com',)
    s.ehlo('69.137.27.32') # IP address of my computer, I don't

remember why I needed this
    msg = '''From: %s
Subject: %s
To: %s

%s
''' % (frm, subject, to, body)

    s.sendmail(frm, to, msg)

    s.sendmail(frm, [to], msg)

    s.quit()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    sendToMe('test', 'test')

It says it sends it but I get nothing in my inbox or anywhere! This is
really frustrating me.

[tim williams]>   No it definitely works,  but Hotmail will blackhole your
constructed email as it is obviously fake.  It has no headers,  dates,
msg-id etc.

[tim williams]>   View the source of a real email in your mail client,  then
cut & paste the whole thing  into your message variable like this

   msg = ''' <msg source here> '''

[tim williams]>  you should remove the  " % (frm, subject, to, body) " at
the end of the msg string

[tim williams]> for correctness, you also need an  "  s.rset()  " in between
each  " s.sendmail "   (but the script does work in its current form)

[tim williams]>  HTH  :)