Fast text display?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Jun 8 16:58:00 EDT 2005

Christopher Subich <spam.csubich+block at block.subich.spam.com> writes:
>  > Use tkinter if you care about cross-platform operation.  Everything
>  > else requires downloading and installing separate toolkits.
>
> Oh, the downloading and installing isn't a big deal.  If in the
> far-flung future anyone else uses this program, they'll be big boys
> who can install things themselves. :)

No, it's a big pain.  I'm a big boy and gave up on trying to install
wxpython for bittorrent on FC3 (the problem was with wxwidgets needing
an obsolete version of gtk, not with wxpython itself).  There's just
no compelling reason to want to deal with this stuff.  Tkinter has its
warts but it allows making functional gui's without all that much
fuss.  If it were replaced in the default distro then I'd say use
whatever the new default is, but as it is, it's best to not impose
unnecessary extra headache on users.