Dealing with marketing types...

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Jun 11 01:43:45 EDT 2005

fuzzylollipop wrote:

> There are 2 things he can do.
>
> 1. Get your resume ready and approach the CEO or whomever and say. Why
> is this happening? Since I can guarantee you they have already decided
> to port this app to Java.

The CEO is probably indifferent about particular technology issues but
certainly not about money. Trashing a ready to use project ( it does
not seem to be a functional prototype ) is clearly a waste of effort
and time. Offer him to draw an architecture fulfilling the requirements
of the "enterprise solution" reusing existing components that is much
less expensive. Arguing that a Python project definitely needs less
programmers than the Java counterpart ( which is very cost effective
because you need less management and administration to lead them -
remember that a programmer is always cheap compared to a manager ). A
new ambitious manager wants to enforce changes. That's part of the game
and one has to assume this.

Remember also that there is not only a lot of hype and buzz around Java
technologies but one can also spread adjectives like "agile" in the
debate and buzz back ( doing politics ). There's still a lot to exploit
in this direction: the "agile" company/department relies on lightweight
methodologies, technologies, languages, thinking, eating, drinking and
pissing.

O.K. if the boss is nervous, carefull and weak and goes directed by
it's servants one may be off-chance.

Kay