win32evtlog

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 13 20:31:05 EDT 2005

sigzero at gmail.com wrote:
> Is anyone versed in pulling out information from the Windows (2000)
> event log? I have looked at the docs and I am in the dark as to how to
> do it. Do what? I am looking to pull out all events with "error" as the
> type.

Generally there are a few things you can do to help yourself with such
things.  There are some samples of win32 stuff in the win32all package,
in the "Demos" directories.  It's possible there is some support for
that already.

Google can also help you search the list archives to find whether others
have asked this question in the past, as is almost always the case.
Usually it helps to know the name of either the relevant module from the
win32all package, or the relevant Win32 API which you can often get from
the msdn.com site if you don't already know it.

Finally, Googling the web instead of the newsgroup will often work very
nicely.  The best approach is to start with the subject line you are
about to use for your posting plus the word Python (e.g. "python
win32evtlog").  Let us know what you find out!

-Peter