plotting with Python

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 21:30:43 EDT 2005

Rolf Wester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Python console application that is intended to be used
> interactively and I have to add plotting capabilities (multiple XY plots
> and if possible 2D-surface plots). I'm loocking for a reasonably fast
> plotting library (not GPL'ed, needs not be for free) that can be used
> under Windows. An alternative would also be a standalone application
> that can be controlled via TCP/IP from my Python application. I tried
> matplotlib but this is not fast enough (especially under Windows). I
> considered PyQwt but this is GPL'ed. So I would be very appreciative for
> any help.

Have a look at matplotib, which provides already embeddable widgets for most
common toolkits.  It lacks surface plotting, for which VTK/mayavi can come in
handy.  If you want interactive console support, IPython can be
embedded/extended, and it handles automatically thread coordination with
matplotlib with Tk, GTK, WX and Qt (windows, linux and osx).  Both come with a
BSD license.

Regards,