Using print with format to stdout generates unwanted space

Tim Hoffman timh at zute.net
Mon Jun 20 08:54:45 EDT 2005

Hi Paul

Based on your description of what you want to do, print is probably  not
the correct method of controlling output format. You should use write()
method of the file handle to get unadulterated output.

print is working as documented .  From the Python 2.3 documentation,
Section 6.6 The Print statement.

"print evaluates each expression in turn and writes the resulting object
to standard output (see below). If an object is not a string, it is
first converted to a string using the rules for string conversions. The
(resulting or original) string is then written. A space is written
before each object is (converted and) written, unless the output system
believes it is positioned at the beginning of a line. This is the case
(1) when no characters have yet been written to standard output, (2)
when the last character written to standard output is "\n", or (3) when
the last write operation on standard output was not a print statement."

As you can see a space char is written and is correct as per the docs.

Rgds

Tim