Graphs/statistics using wxPython

Jan Danielsson jan.danielsson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:24:18 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
>> [---]
>>
>>> It's okay. Just about every Pythonista in the sciences has, at one time
>>> or another, started a plotting library. It's a rite of passage. Welcome
>>> to the club.  :-)
>>

>>    Question: I need to install SciPy in order to use matplotlib,
>
> No you don't.

   Ah.. I misread. I read
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/installing.html, the section which
describes what "enthought python" contains, and thought it meant "this
is relevant to matplot lib".

>> but on
>> the download page I see that there are versions for Python 2.2.x and
>> 2.3.x. I use 2.4.1 -- will bad things happen if I try to use the build
>> for 2.3.x?
>
> Yes. Scipy has many extension modules; such modules built for 2.3.x
> won't work for 2.4.x, etc.

   So, for future reference: I should *never* mix x and y versions in
verion: x.y.z. I've wondered why there are versions of libraries for
different versions of Python..