What is different with Python ?

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Sun Jun 12 22:46:50 EDT 2005

"Mike Meyer" wrote:

> Andrea Griffini <agriff at tin.it> writes:
> > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:52:57 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
> > wrote:
> > Also concrete->abstract shows a clear path; starting
> > in the middle and looking both up (to higher
> > abstractions) and down (to the implementation
> > details) is IMO much more confusing.
>
> So you're arguing that a CS major should start by learning electronics
> fundamentals, how gates work, and how to design hardware(*)? Because
> that's what the concrete level *really* is. Start anywhere above that,
> and you wind up needing to look both ways.

This may sound as a rhetorical question, but in fact as an Informatics
undergrad I had to take courses in electronics, logic design, signals
and systems and other obscure courses as far CS is concerned
(http://www2.di.uoa.gr/en/lessons.php). Although these are certainly
useful if one is interested in hardware, architecture, realtime and
embedded systems, etc., I hardly find them relevant (or even more,
necessary) for most CS/IT careers. Separation of concerns works pretty
well for most practical purposes.

George