scripting browsers from Python

David Boddie davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 19:24:08 EDT 2005

Michele Simionato wrote:
> This looks interesting, but I need an example here. What would be the
> command to open Konqueror to a given page and to post a form with given
> parameters?

Launch Konqueror, note the process ID (pid), and use the dcop command
line tool to open the page at a specified URL:

  dcop konqueror-<pid> konqueror-mainwindow#1 openURL <URL>

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to manipulate the page
purely with DCOP, even with Python bindings, although I hope that
someone can prove me wrong.

> kde.org has tons a material, but I am getting lost and I don't find
> anything relevant to my simple problem.

A quick search revealed this discussion about using JavaScript with
DCOP:

  http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=103661664427286&w=2

This might be the best you can hope for with scripting outside the
browser. I've been trying to enable support for in-browser scripting
with Konqueror using KPart plugins, but this requires up to date
versions of sip, PyQt and PyKDE:

  http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk

If you want to pursue that route, let me know and I'll try and tidy up
what I have.

David