anygui,anydb, any opinions?

Thomas Bartkus tom at dtsam.com
Thu Jun 2 11:41:59 EDT 2005

"Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.372.1117682729.18027.python-list at python.org...

>     >> Are we talking about a drag-and-drop GUI builder?
>     Thomas> I am!
>
>     >> What about Glade?
>     Thomas> Dying to try that.  Ask me again in a week.
>
> I use Glade at work on a regular basis.  Took me a few days to get
> proficient, and it has some warts, but it sure beats the heck out of
> manually creating all those widgets in my Python code.
>
> Skip

Yes.  Anything that automates/assists the creation of the user interface is
a phenomenal time saver.  The task of getting data from and delivering it to
a human operator is still the most difficult and time consuming part of
creating software. It is so onerous that it tempts one to abandon writing
software for organic beings altogether.

My reference to Visual Basic was meant to be a poke in the eye.  The
language itself stinks.  BUT - having a robust IDE with keyword tooltip
prompts, built in language documentation, robust built in debugging, and
most of all - a stable GUI , a standard suite of widgets for interacting
with those pesky, error prone humans, the ability to draw these on a form
with a mouse and have all that running in minutes! It no longer matters that
the language itself smells like 4 day old fish!  No amount of linguistic or
structural elegance can have as much impact on productivity as the IDE/GUI.

It drives me crazy when someone suggests that it might amount to no more
than a bit of fluff hardly worth bothering with because when it comes to
programming -

An excellent IDE/GUI just trumps everything.
Thomas Bartkus