What is different with Python ?

Philippe C. Martin philippe at philippecmartin.com
Sat Jun 11 18:49:35 EDT 2005

I agree '...choice for the very beginners ...': a hundred year ago I was a
Pascal TA, and although I like the language, I find/found people stuggled
as much with the language as with the algorithm they were supposed to
implement.

"...mostly variants of Basic..." What I truly liked going from Basic (which
has greatly evolved) to Pascal was the fact I found a definite risk not
having to declare variable/ or rather I understood the lack of danger in
doing so: The one (so I thought) glitch with Python that almost made me
stop playing with was that very fact. yet I agree a complete beginner would
simply the approach most meaningful "why should I write int i = 1 since I
know 1 is an int". Since the "dangers" of old basic are gone from Python
(can't do i=y if y has not ever been initialized). I must agree with that
too. I'm actually pushing the few CS professors I know to use Python for CS
101. Yet, many issues that a future software engineer should know are
mostly hidden by Python (ex: memory management) and that could be
detrimental.

Regards,

Philippe