Favorite non-python language trick?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 24 15:53:15 EDT 2005

"D H" <d at e.f> wrote in message

> Roy Smith wrote:

>> Tom Anderson  <twic at urchin.earth.li> wrote:
>>>The one thing i really do miss is method overloading by parameter
>>>type.  I used this all the time in java

>> You do things like that in type-bondage languages like Java and C++
>> because you have to.  Can you give an example of where you miss it in
>> Python?
>
> Well it's coming to a future Python version,

The 'it' under discussion is 'method overloading by parameter type'.  While
a few people have requested it, I have seen no indication that 'it' is
coming.  I do not see even a mention of it in either page you referenced.

> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python3.0Suggestions#head-7df9d7035174644fdae024ed4a5ea0960a003ef5

> I don't know if you'll have method overloading, but there will be type
> checking.

Perhaps, though Guido has concerns about the issue.

> "Type checking is going to slow down your code." -GVR 2005 keynote,
> http://www.sauria.com/%7Etwl/conferences/pycon2005/20050324/The%20State%20of%20Python.html

You left out "    NOTE: Nothing's settled yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "
Reminder and Disclaimer
    Nothing's settled yet!!!!!

Terry J. Reedy