extreme newbie

Renato Ramonda renato.ramonda at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 09:00:02 EDT 2005

cpunerd4 ha scritto:
> thanks all for the advice. The reason I was thinking about using java
> (or C or something) was that it is a little more secure than
> distributing the source code isn't it?

As in "protecting your code from prying eyes"?

Then java is exactly like python: I can distribute a fully functional
python program using only .pyc or .pyo files (unreadable) just as I can
distribute only .class files (or jars) in java.

And reverse engineering ("de-compiling") both is damn easy. The produced
code won't be beautiful, sure, but don't rely on it if you want to keep
your code secret (for whatever reason).

> And also, from what I know, the
> Java virtual machine is more popular (and installed on more computers).

And it is also HUGE, so anyone NOT having it will think twice before
downloading it only for your app. Python on the other hand is installed
by default on all linux and OSX machines, and on windows you can use
py2exe and produce packages of 2-3MBs (correct me if I'm wrong) with
everything bundled.

--
Renato