Seti-like program

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Wed Jun 1 05:53:57 EDT 2005

GMane Python wrote:
> I'd like to consider making a program which is 'seti-like' where I could run
> a command-line Python script to just 'do something', and then be able to
> launch a viewer program (maybe linux x11 or Windows, possibly over a network
> socket) using wxPython to be able to inter-act with it. (Start jobs, view
> queue of jobs, modify jobs, etc, or even just watch the work process).

It depends on your scope of course... If you want the whole framework
involved in a seti-like system, with distribution of tasks and load
balancing etc, I wouldn't try to build a new system like that. I'd use
something like Sun Grid Engine. Actually, I'd use Sun Grid Engine.

Of course, this might be overkill for you. Embedding a socket server
or even a little web server in your Python script might be enough if
you just need to monitor a working program, but for starting new jobs
and job queues etc, SGE is probably the path to follow.

See http://gridengine.sunsource.net/GEDomainFAQ.html

I don't think SGE works on Windows, but it works on the major Unix
dialects, including Linux and Mac OS/X. I'm sure you could write a
Python program that monitors and manages SGE from Windows if you like.

For some other options on distributed operation, see
http://www.thinkware.se/cgi-bin/thinki.cgi/UsingPythonWithOtherLanguages

Both CORBA implementations and simpler things like PYRO could help, but
these systems are more aimed at enabling communication between programs
running in a distributed fashion, and I don't think they target tasks
such as job queues, starting and stopping jobs, or load balancing etc.