scripting browsers from Python

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Jun 1 10:10:46 EDT 2005

I wanted to have a Python program make my browser do a POST.  I am using
Firefox on Linux.

Here's what I did:
* Prepare a HTML page on the local disk that looks like this:
    <form method=post accept-charset="utf-8" action="http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/example.cgi">
        <input name=field1 value=value1>
        <input name=field2 value=value2>
        <textarea name=text>....</textarea>
        <input type=submit name=blah>
    </form>
    Submitting form...

* Point the webbrowser at it.  In my case, the webbrowser module didn't work immediately so I
  just used os.system() with a hardcoded browser name for it

Jeff