Remove duplicates from list

Chris Lambacher lambacck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 15:15:38 EDT 2005

It is very unclear what you are trying to do.  Why not explain what
you want the output to be.  You will get better answers.

As a first stab at what you are doing wrong:
collect = item.Monday + item.Tuesday + item.Wednesday + item.Thursday
+ item.Friday + item.Saturday + item.Sunday

The above is string addition and the result is a string.  The ouput
you provide is in fact a list with no duplicates, i.e. there are no
two strings the same.

If order is not important to you a structure that will give you an
'unordered list with no duplicates' is a set (available in the std
library in Python 2.3 and 2.4, see the cookbook for recipies for
earlier versions of Python).  Note that sets are unordered, i.e. no
guarentee is made about what order the elements are accessed in when
you iterate over them.

-Chris