Any way to not create .pyc files?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jun 9 14:30:29 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
>> Lonnie Princehouse wrote:
>>> If these .pyc files exist, they appear to cause problems when other
>>> users' Python interpreters use them instead of the .py files.  (I know,
>>> they *should* work, but they don't).  This may have something to do
>>> with the fact that all of these users (on Windows) have the network
>>> drive mapped to arbitrary drive letters.  I don't know.
>
> That won't be the reason.

I take it back... that could be the reason.  I just checked and the path
to the .py file is encoded in the .pyc.  I don't know if it's actually
used in the decision whether to recompile the .pyc or not (it could just
be for use in showing tracebacks with source), but it's a possibility...
pretty easy to test too.

-Peter