If - Or statements

Ognjen Bezanov ognjen at mailshack.com
Sat Jun 4 05:35:28 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

> Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
>
>> Another newbie-ish question.
>>
>> I want to create an if statement which will check if a particular
>> variable matches one of the statements, and willl execute the statement
>> if the variable matches any of the statements.
>>
>> I have tried the following (the pass is just used for testing)
>>

>> if ext[1] == "mp3" or ext[1] == "mp4" or ext[1] == "ogg" or ext[1] ==
>> "aac" or ext[1] != "wma":
>>        print "we have a valid extension: " + ext[1] #here would go the
>> code for decoding the above
>>        pass
>

> It works fine for me. Could you post the smallest complete program
> (one that defines ext) that displays the behavior and its entire output?
>
> As an aside, is 'ext[1] != "wma"' correct or should it be ==? As
> written, you could collapse the whole thing to 'if ext[1] != "wma":'
> but I presume it is a typo.

filelist = os.listdir('/mnt/cdrom/') #get a list of files from the cdrom
drive
        for thefile in filelist[:]:   #for each file in the filelist
            if thefile.find(".") != -1:   #if the file has an extenstion
at all
                ext = thefile.split('.') #get the file extension
                ext[1] =  ext[1].lower() #convert to lowercase
                print ext[1] #debugging, to see the variable before
passed to if statement

                if ext[1] == "mp3" or ext[1] == "mp4" or ext[1] == "ogg"
or ext[1] == "aac" or ext[1] == "wma":
                    print "we have a valid extension: " + ext[1] #here
would go the code for decoding the above
                    pass

Just tell me if you need more info/code snippets