getting tracebacks from traceback objects

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Thu Jun 23 20:03:06 EDT 2005

Hello,

For a GUI app I've tried resetting sys.excepthook to my own
exceptionhandler bound method, which accepts a type, value and traceback
object.

Now, the traceback module has print_exc and format_exc methods that are
supposed to take a traceback object and return a formatted traceback
like the default output. Unfortunately I keep getting 'None' out of
them. Not sure why.

Happens here too.

>>> def handler(type, value, tb):
...    traceback.print_exc(tb)
>>> import traceback
>>> import sys
>>> sys.excepthook = handler
>>> assert(False)
None

Pretty sure this worked in 1.5.2. Am I doing something wrong here?

I want format_exe especially, since I don't want to print to stdout, I
want to provide the traceback in a popup dialog.

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.digitaltorque.ca
http://opag.ca      python -c 'import this'