Two questions

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Thu Jun 2 22:59:35 EDT 2005

John Machin wrote:

>> In other words, to create your .pyc file, just run your .py file and
>> Python will do it automatically.
>>

> The notion that just running a .py file will create a .pyc file is
> contrary to widely-held belief, and (admittedly small, but very recent,
> on Python 2.4.1, in a directory to which I have and had write access)
> empirical evidence. I can't be bothered checking *all* sightings of the
> time machine but my copy of 1.5.2 exhibits the same behaviour.
>
> Is it possible that you could be mistaken?

Well, its been known to happen before. Especially at 3am.

So yes, it is certainly possible that I'm mistaken.
However, I'm assured that in Python3000, the Python
byte-code interpreter will be integrated with Guido's
time machine so that the .pyc file will be created
before you even write the .py file, thus saving a lot
of development time.

--
Steven.