Favorite non-python language trick?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 25 07:14:20 EDT 2005

Mandus wrote:
> Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:31:08 +0100 skrev Tom Anderson:

>>Higher-order functions like map, filter and reduce. As of Python 3000,
>>they're non-python tricks. Sigh - i guess it's time for me to get to know
>>list comprehensions a bit better.
>
> u-huu... I wasn't aware of that. It is really a consensus on this; that
> removing map, filter, reduce is a good thing? It will render a whole lot
> of my software unusable :(

Python 3000 (or Python 3.0) is the designated "we're going to break
backwards compatibility" release. Your code won't necessarily work even
if map, filter, and reduce are kept.

Guido's current plans, such as they are, with links to his reasoning can
be found here:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-3000.html
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python3.0

Of course, there's no timetable for when this change will take place.
map, filter, and reduce are safe for quite some time.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter