Learning more about "The Python Way"

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Jun 12 21:48:47 EDT 2005

Kalle Anke wrote:

> So, I'm looking for advice/information on:
>
> + How to write "proper" python code instead of
>   Java/Perl/C/C++/Pascal/Modula-2/etc inspired code

Read other people's Python code especially that from the standard
library. Extend the functionality of those projects to fit your needs.

As someone else mentioned, get a copy of the 2nd edition of the Python
Cookbook. It's full of gold.

> + The more advanced parts/uses of Python

It depends on your viewpoint what is advanced. Metaclasses are probably
the most notorious examples of "advanced Python." You can also find
plenty of "advanced Python" in the guts of the numerous framework-type
packages (Zope, Twisted, PEAK and the like).

> + Discussions about the ideas behind different Python
>   constructs

The best place to search is probably Google Groups for c.l.py and GMane
for gmane.comp.python.devel for the python-dev list. If you have a more
specific question in mind, you can also ask here.

> + What's going to happen with v3

Python 3.0 (also sometimes referred to as Python 3000) is when Guido is
going to allow backwards-incompatible changes. Some duplicated
functionality, warts, and redundancies will be cleaned up. Old-style
classes will disappear, etc. There are no concrete plans at this time;
Python 3.0 is still a long ways off. In short, talk of Python 3.0
shouldn't worry you until Guido writes a post entitled "Some rich fool
is paying me to work fulltime on Python 3.0 for a year. What's on *your*
wishlist?"

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu