Destructive Windows Script

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Sun Jun 5 21:03:18 EDT 2005

Roose wrote:
> My guess would be: extremely, extremely easy.  Since you're only writing 30
> bytes for each file, the vast majority of the data will still be present on
> disk, just temporarily inaccessible because of the del command.  And more
> than likely it will be possible to recover 100% if they are using a
> journaling file system like NTFS, which Windows XP does.
>
> If you are honestly trying to destroy your own data, go out and download a
> free program that will do it right.  If you're trying to write some kind of
> trojan, well you've got a lot of learning to do.  :)

Thanks for the opinion... I don't do malware. Just interested in
speeding up file wiping (if possible) for old computers that will be
auctioned. The boot programs that you allude to (killdisk, autoclave)
work well, but are slow and tedious. If this can be done *properly* in
Python, I'd like to have a go at it.