Want to learn a language - is Python right?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Jun 20 06:56:42 EDT 2005

"Aziz McTang" <AzizMcTang at gmail.com> writes:
> 1) Generate web pages
> This one's fairly obvious maybe.

You might find this easier to do with PHP.  Python is better in a deep
way, but for web pages, that advantage only becomes real when you're
doing complicated sites.  Simple stuff is easier to do with PHP
despite that language's flaws.

> 2) Create a simplified translation package specific to my line of work:

This is a lot harder than it sounds and you're better off using a
canned program for it.

> 3) Help me learn Estonian.
> I wrote a couple of rules in Excel. ...
> Is Python the sort of language that will let me do this sort of thing
> (whether *I* can actually do it is another question :) )?

Yes, Python is a good choice for that type of program, though whether
that's a good way to learn a natural language (like Estonian) is a
different matter.