When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "Britishaccent"...

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Jun 30 19:09:20 EDT 2005

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2005-06-30, Delaney, Timothy (Tim) <tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote:
>> Tom Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> How about carrier?
>>
>> Ends in an "a" (Australian ;)
>
> Right, but due to some wierd property requiring conservation of
> consonants, when speaking Strine you've got to take the r's
> removed from words like "carrier" and "order", and add them to
> the ends of other words like Amanda.

I feel obliged to point out that there's probably only about 50,000
speakers of Strine in Australia out of approx 20 million people, so a
lot of those consonants are ending up in landfill somewhere, rather than
being conserved in an environmentally-friendly way.

Even people such as myself with a fairly broad country accent (city
people sound so wussy ;) don't do our part for conservation of
consonants :(

Tim Delaney