extreme newbie

Ed Jensen ejensen at visi.com
Sat Jun 18 16:49:50 EDT 2005

Renato Ramonda <renato.ramonda at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only system (apart from solaris, I guess) that has a JVM by default
> is OSX, and it's _NOT_ sun's one, but the internally developed one.

Apple licenses Sun's JVM and makes the modifications necessary to run
it on OSX.  I know I'm being a pedant, but I don't want people to
think Apple writes their own JVM from scratch.  Also, Java is
installed on lots of systems by companies like Dell and HP; however,
you usually can't predict which version of the JVM is installed or how
the Java auto update features are configured.

That being said, I think Sun is being foolish by not ensuring Java is
free enough to be included with every Linux distribution.  Talk about
letting a golden opportunity slip through their fingers...

As others have pointed out, Python's non-restrictive licensing allows
it to be installed far and wide, and it's easy to bundle a Python
interpreter with your application, which is great.  These are big
advantages for Python.