What is different with Python ?

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Tue Jun 14 06:49:27 EDT 2005

Andrea Griffini schrieb:
 > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:35:00 +0200, Peter Maas <peter at somewhere.com>
 > wrote:
 >

 >>I think Peter is right. Proceeding top-down is the natural way of
 >>learning.
 >

 > Depends if you wanna build or investigate.

Learning is investigating. By top-down I mean high level (cat,
dog, table sun, sky) to low level (molecules, atoms, fields ...).
And to know the lowest levels is not strictly necessary for
programming. I have seen good programmers who didn't know about
logic gates.

> Hehehe... a large python string is a nice idea for modelling
> memory. This shows clearly what I mean with that without firm
> understanding of the basis you can do pretty huge and stupid
> mistakes (hint: strings are immutable in python... ever
> wondered what does that fancy word mean ?)

Don't nail me down on that stupid string, I know it's immutable but
didn't think about it when answering your post. Take <some mutable
replacement> instead.